SMSC stands for Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural.
All schools in England must show how well their pupils develop in SMSC.
SMSC at Hutton Cranswick C P School means that:
- I can care about myself and other people
- I can work with and respect other people
- I can choose between what is right and wrong
- I can understand the consequences of my choices and actions
- I can understand what fascinates me and talk about it with others
- I can ask ‘why’ questions
- I can see wonder in the world
- I can be proud of who I am and where I come from
- I can learn about and respect other peoples’ cultures
Throughout our curriculum we continually embed and incorporate SMSC aspects.
SMSC is also specifically developed through sessions from our Heartsmart learning toolkit. Each year group from Reception to Year 6 cover six core units: Get Heartsmart; Don’t forget to let love in; Too much selfie isn’t healthy; Don’t rub it in, rub it out; Fake is a mistake and No way through isn’t true. Throughout these units the children cover areas such as: how we use our power in positive ways, understanding our emotions, developing an awareness of our surroundings and the people around us, discussing simple rules to help keep us safe online and looking at how we are the same and how we are different.
In addition to this as part of our Relationships and Sex Education we have annual workshops delivered by BigTalk Education. BigTalk Education’s vision is to ensure as many children and young people as possible receive high quality Relationship & Sex Education, to help keep them safe, healthy & happy.
Our RE Curriculum which is the agreed East Riding Syllabus also promotes and addresses many of the SMSC aspects.
Please read the document below which shows how we develop and promote SMSC at our school.